Saturday, 1 May 2010

dare to be yourself and do things differently...

At the beginnig of my teaching job I used to wonder what self image should I give to my students.


Not paying much attention to some of my teacher friend's recommendations ( be tough or they will get on you! ) I struggled to find my own style. I've swung from being very nice to being really nasty, learning to keep my feelings hidden and in difficult situations saying to myself "calm down, do not shout, wait for the group to unwind".


Only when I truly believe in what I'm doing, do I see my students being really motivated. Well, I must say that embarrassement is not one of my problems!


Just try to get into the class wearing a cook apron, with a cake paper tray and two more small aprons for 2 students. Play to be a cook and ask the students to "prepare" a meal for the rest of the class. Practice a small dialogue and see your 7 year-old students taking the activity over from you... add a small song with some key words from the dialogue and voilà! I bet they will not forget this session!


Our children expect the teacher to be closer to them. To play with them. To laugh with them...bottom line: to empathise with them whilst guiding them in their learning process.
And remember, a motivated teacher guarantees a motivated group!


0 comentaris: