Thursday, 27 August 2009

becoming a competent teacher in secondary school

(teaching: an ongoing process...)
Last autumn I enrolled in the C.A.P. certificate, which has led me to be qualified as a secondary school teacher.

Although many comments have been made in regards to the quality of the C.A.P. courses, I must say that the English Didactics course I took in the U.A.B. was excellent. It included 30 hours on-site education, plus a minimum of 40 hours practicum in an IES over a 6 to 10 weeks period.

To make things better, our teacher is currently working in an IES in Barcelona, teaching EFL and CLIL programmes ( maths in English). So, not only did we have his day-to-day experience, but his drive and enthusiasm towards teaching were impressing.

Here are some of the conclusions I got to when I finished my practicum:

* Preparation is key to be a competent teacher, and this requires a lot of energy and enthusiasm. * Teacher’s motivation drives students’ motivation.
* Teachers need to look at their students without prejudice and try to embrace diversity as a positive challenge.
* It is of the utmost importance that the teacher shows respect for their students, in order to get respect back.
* Reinforcing and re-teaching the rules should be part of the teaching routine. This ensures a good class atmosphere and being fair. I found it was very useful to speak about “my rules” in the first session.
* ICT are a MUST when planning activities in the classroom.
* Putting a unit plan into writing is a complex task. Teachers should be encouraged to create their own units as a way to adap material to their students and be an active part in the teaching material creation.
* Working within the LOE frame is very demanding. It requires new approaches with a broader view in regards to the teaching act. Also, students are supposed to respond to higher thinking abilities.
* Teachers should try to keep a good sense of humour. Both peer teachers and students will appreciate it. ;-)

0 comentaris: